The UHMWPE fiber (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene Yarn) is 15 times stronger than steel and 40% stronger than aramid when weight for weight basis. It is the strongest yarn today for making cut-resistance gloves, high-strength ropes, and bulletproof fabrics. Its tenacity at breaking up to 45cN/dtex and has good performance on anti-UV, anti-chemicals, and anti-cut.
Introduce of Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene Yarn
Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene (UHMWPE fiber) is a subset of thermoplastic polyethylene. Also known as high-modulus polyethylene (HMPE yarn), it has extremely long chains, with a molecular mass usually between 3.5 and 7.5 million annually. The longer chain serves to transfer load more effectively to the polymer backbone by strengthening intermolecular interactions. This results in a very tough material, with the highest impact strength of any thermoplastic presently made.
UHMWPE fiber is odorless, tasteless, and nontoxic. It embodies all the characteristics of high-density polyethylene (HDPE) with the added traits of being resistant to concentrated acids and alkalis, as well as numerous organic solvents. It is highly resistant to corrosive chemicals except for oxidizing acids; has extremely low moisture absorption and a very low coefficient of friction; is self-lubricating (see boundary lubrication); and is highly resistant to abrasion, in some forms being 15 times more resistant to abrasion than carbon steel. Its coefficient of friction is significantly lower than that of nylon and acetal and is comparable to that of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE, Teflon), but UHMWPE fiber has better abrasion resistance than PTFE.
UHMWPE yarn is also one of three major hi-tech fibers ( specifically the carbon fiber, aramid, and UHMWPE fiber), in addition, it is a super-strong polyethylene fiber that offers maximum strength combined with minimum weight. It is up to 15 times stronger than quality steel and up to 40% stronger than aramid fibers, both on weight for weight basis. UHMWPE yarn floats on water and is extremely durable and resistant to moisture, UV light, and chemicals. The applications are therefore more or less unlimited.
Features of UHMWPE fiber/yarn
- *High strength: 10 times stronger than the high-quality steel of the same section in intention;
- *High modulus: next to the super-class carbon fiber
- *Low density: 0.97, and floatable on water
- *Extraordinary anti-abrasive, flexible, anti-bend.
Key Characteristics of UHMWPE Fiber
- Strength: UHMWPE fibers are incredibly strong and have a high tensile strength, making them one of the strongest fibers available. They are often used in applications where high-strength materials are required.
- Lightweight: Despite their strength, UHMWPE fibers are very lightweight. This makes them suitable for use in lightweight and high-performance products.
- Chemical Resistance: UHMWPE is resistant to many chemicals and solvents, which makes it suitable for use in harsh environments.
- Low Friction: UHMWPE has a low coefficient of friction, which means it has excellent sliding and wear properties. This makes it useful in applications involving moving parts.
- Abrasion Resistance: UHMWPE fibers are highly abrasion-resistant, which makes them suitable for use in protective gear and equipment that may be subjected to wear and tear.
- Low Moisture Absorption: UHMWPE fibers have low moisture absorption properties, which helps them maintain their performance characteristics even in wet conditions.
- Cut Resistance: Due to their high strength and toughness, UHMWPE fibers are often used in cut-resistant gloves and protective clothing for industrial and military applications.
- Ballistic Protection: UHMWPE fibers are commonly used in the production of ballistic-resistant materials such as body armor and helmets. Their high strength-to-weight ratio makes them ideal for protecting against bullets and other projectiles.
- Ropes and Cables: UHMWPE fibers are used in the manufacture of ropes and cables for applications like sailing, mountaineering, and lifting due to their high strength and low stretch characteristics.
- Medical Implants: In the medical field, UHMWPE is used to make orthopedic implants like hip and knee replacements because of its biocompatibility and resistance to wear.
- Overall, UHMWPE fibers are highly versatile and find applications in various industries where lightweight, high-strength, and durable materials are required.
Applications of UHMWPE fiber / Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene Yarn
Based on UHMWPE yarn’s advantageous properties, it has now become one of the high-tech materials rapidly developed in recent years and widely applied in such fields as safety protection, aviation, spaceflight, navigation, electronics, weapon, shipbuilding, building material, sports, medical treatment and so on. Products made up of the fiber include bulletproof jackets, ballistic helmets, financial vehicles, ballistic shields, tanks, naval armor protection boards, parachute hawser, watercraft Oceaneering cordage,mountain-climbing rope, fishing net and tread, boat, gig and arrow, pat, ski, man-made nearthrosis and ligament, safety protection cover,anti-impact vessel and so on.
- Ballistic Protection: UHMWPE fibers are extensively used in the production of ballistic-resistant materials, such as bulletproof vests, helmets, and vehicle armor. Their high strength and low weight make them ideal for providing protection against bullets and projectiles.
- Cut-Resistant Gloves and Clothing: UHMWPE fibers are used to make gloves, aprons, and clothing for industrial workers who need protection against sharp objects and cutting hazards. They provide excellent cut resistance while remaining lightweight and flexible.
- Ropes and Cables: UHMWPE fibers are employed in the manufacturing of ropes and cables used in applications like sailing, mountaineering, fishing, and towing. These fibers offer high strength, low stretch, and resistance to abrasion, making them suitable for demanding outdoor activities.
- Fishing Lines: UHMWPE fibers are commonly used in the production of fishing lines due to their high strength and low visibility in water. They offer anglers the ability to use thin lines with exceptional tensile strength.
- Marine and Offshore Applications: UHMWPE ropes and cables are used in marine and offshore industries for mooring, towing, and lifting operations. They resist saltwater corrosion and have a longer lifespan compared to traditional ropes.
- Aerospace: UHMWPE fibers find use in the aerospace industry for applications like parachute cords and suspension lines due to their high strength and lightweight properties.
- Medical Implants: UHMWPE is utilized to manufacture orthopedic implants such as hip and knee replacements. Its biocompatibility, low wear rate, and durability make it a suitable material for joint replacements.
- Sports Equipment: UHMWPE is used in sports equipment like tennis strings, snowboard bases, and hockey skate blades due to its strength, flexibility, and resistance to impact.
- Automotive Parts: UHMWPE can be used in automotive applications, including gears and components in the transmission system, because of its wear resistance and low friction properties.
- Industrial Applications: UHMWPE can be found in various industrial equipment components, including conveyor belts, bearings, seals, and rollers due to its low friction, high wear resistance, and chemical resistance.
- Electrical and Electronics: UHMWPE is used as an insulating material in the electrical and electronics industry due to its dielectric properties and resistance to moisture.
- Defense and Law Enforcement: In addition to ballistic protection, UHMWPE fibers are used in various defense and law enforcement applications, including lightweight armor for vehicles, shields, and equipment.
- Mining and Construction: UHMWPE materials are used in mining and construction for wear-resistant components like chutes, liners, and conveyor systems.
- These applications demonstrate the versatility of UHMWPE fibers and their ability to meet the demanding requirements of industries where high strength, durability, and low weight are essential.